Thursday 27 September 2018

SCAM ALERT

Hi my friends

I thought I would let you know the latest computer scam.

I had an automated phone call yesterday saying that my internet will cease in 24 hours and my personal data had been violated, and by several people world wide and to get help now and to stop this happening in the future, press 1 to talk to an agent.

I just put the phone down, but it worried me so I rang Paul and he said it's scam you did the right thing BUT it doesn't end there. 24 hours later my computer would not allow me to open any windows, and within a few seconds two notifications came up telling me that Firefox had crashed and to put in my email address and they would notify me when Firefox was fixed. This time I rang Craig and I read it out to him and he said to click the little red cross, top right to close them, then close your computer down and start again. I did that and it's fine.

I thought I would let you know as this scam goes over a 24 hours. When I first saw this this morning I doubted that yesterday's call wasn't a scam. I'm not that good with computers but I am lucky to have two people in the family that are.

I hope you don't think I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but if I hadn't spoken to Craig today I really was tempted to press for help.

Love & Hugs

Tina XX

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Tina, sadly there are so many of these low lifes about in this day and age, who are ripping people off left right and centre.

    Stay safe, healthy and happy, hugs, June Smith xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tina glad you passed this on
    jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya chick. We've had three of these calls, it didn't occur to me to flag it up here I am sorry, in hindsight I'll remember to do so I'm future, better to be safe than sorry. Yes about three weeks ago we had a call,then another the following week. I know Andy has a website he checks if he has any doubts, I think of you type into the browser - what's this number it will tell you which company called, how many people have also checked the number and what kind of scam it is. The best thing to do Tina is make a note of the number or redial 1471 to double check it, then when you get to the 'who called me' or 'which number' website type in the number that called. Always remember to ignor numbers or automated messages BUT make a note of their number for future reference so should you get a 'human' on the other end of the line trying to scam you, you can either give them what the scum deserve (ie a nice loud whistle) or invite them for coffee lol. Those websites that you can check unknown numbers on are very useful. Andy has checked whenever we've had them and 100's of other people have also been pestered as it even shows you how many before you have looked the number up, some scam numbers have come as far as Egypt especially the automated scam numbers. I hope I've been some help giving you the name of the number checking websites and again I'm sorry I didn't use my grey slush to forwarn you this was happening xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again love. After re-reading that you said all this happened on your pc, they also try to get you to do this via phone. They tell you your BT line and everything connected will come to an end in 24hrs so ring such n such a number for customer assistance. Also a SCAM but also be aware they don't disconnect the call immediately, so should you make a call to your bank/building society straight after the scam call they can pick up your account and sort code number if you have to give it for security details (we have to do that on telephone banking for security measures ) so another tip when you disconnect from a telephone scam ring the talking clock - so that will be last call made rather than your bank when you may have tapped your account numbers in with your phone handset. Does any of that make any sense !!!???

    ReplyDelete